Welcome to the Sustainable URban Futures (SURF) Lab in the School of Meteorology and the Department of Geography and Environmental Sustainability at the University of Oklahoma.
Global cities in a changing climate are confronted with numerous environmental challenges, such as exacerbated heat stress, frequent air pollution episodes, degraded water quality, and increased energy consumption and water use. Dr. Chenghao Wang and the Sustainable URban Futures Lab examine the mechanisms of urban environments, their interactions with regional and global climates, and their impacts on building energy use, carbon emissions, and public health using numerical models and data analytics. Through our interdisciplinary research, we aim to advance the understanding of the urban environment and support more sustainable urban development under global environmental changes.
We are seeking two doctoral students who are willing to pursue research in the following areas: (1) Urban Air Pollution Modeling; and (2) Urban Climate Modeling and Analytics.
A full description of these available Ph.D. positions (and PDF in English and Chinese) can be found here. If you are interested, please contact Dr. Chenghao Wang (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Nov 10, 2023 (Fall 2024 admission), and attach (1) a copy of your CV, (2) a brief statement that highlights your interest (and skills and previous research experience, when applicable) relevant to the position description, and (3) a copy of unofficial academic transcripts and TOEFL/IELTS/PET/DET transcripts (when applicable).
More information about the University of Oklahoma, the School of Meteorology, the Department of Geography and Environmental Sustainability, and available degree programs can be found here.
We also welcome undergraduate and graduate students who are willing to work on short/long-term research projects in our lab.
If you are interested, please reach out to Dr. Chenghao Wang at any time.
- Open Ph.D. positions at the SURF Lab (2024 Fall admission) – updated
- New paper on N2O emissions from urban wastewater-influenced estuaries published in Communications Earth & Environment
- New paper on urban land surface model intercomparison published in Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
- New paper on urban building energy use published in Nature Communications
- Open Ph.D. positions at the SURF Lab (2024 Fall admission)
- Dr. Wang presented at ICUC11 in Sydney
- Yuqi Huang joined our group. Welcome!
- Open Ph.D. positions at the SURF Lab (2024 Spring or Fall admission)
- Sarah Henry successfully completed her REU project. Congratulations!
- New paper on compound urban heat-ozone pollution published in Scientific Reports