A New Era of Myself

“We should not be afraid to go into a new era, to leave the old beyond.” – Zach Wamp

All of my life, I have always been the one that was very shy but had a lot of friends, if that makes sense? I come from a city where there are a lot of crimes, and how it was is ridiculous. I told myself once I graduated from high school, I leave Lawton. Lawton is where I was born and raised. I’ve come from a family where all of my siblings accomplished a lot. For example, some of my siblings graduated from Lawton High, the high school home of champions.

Anyways to shift gears. Since being here at OU, I have loved becoming more open with myself. I also love the number of friends that are not only from Oklahoma but from out of state as well. I’ve loved all of the events that I’ve gone to, and just being me is an accomplishment of what I wanted to do in Lawton.

Unfortunately, I could not be myself in Lawton due to the population. Knowing my luck in my hometown knows my family (specifically my mother). My mom was a bondsman for 25 years, meaning she provided written agreements to criminal courts to pay the bail in full if the defendants whose appearances they guarantee fail to appear on their trial dates. Plus, she knows a majority of my friends that I hang out with in Lawton and loves the majority of my friends.

But since coming here to OU, I’ve loved every moment that I’ve dealt with and the journey here. I’m glad that I let go of old friends and made new ones. I am astonished and can say that I went to OU in my family. Boomer Sooner!!