Fan Dance

So, when I did orchestra in middle school, I played a song called Fan Dance. My teacher, Mrs. Liticker, picked the piece for Solo and Ensemble that we do every year. The stress of being in a string choir is overwhelming, but not for long. Not only do I have to look out for my section, but I also have to make sure that every section is on the beat. I honestly loved Fan Dance, and that got us a one. When we go to district, there is a ranking for the judges to determine the soloist/string choir. One is superior, two is excellent, and three is good. I’d always get ones when I did both ensemble and solo. I was stressed when I did district. But thankfully, I can thank going to solo and ensemble enough for making me a better musician.

Now to talk about Fan Dance. Please listen to the piece while reading About the Music.

About the Music:

The iconic folding fan was invented in Japan as early as the sixth century. Fan were initially used as cooling devices in hot weather but evolved over time into beautiful works of art, props in traditional dances, and even weapons on the battlefield. The fan symbolized respect, well wishes, and friendship and was given as gifts for important occasions. The traditional Japanese Fan Dance consists of one or more dances with slow movements choreographed to lively music. These dances often tell stories with symbolic meanings conveyed through the various dance steps and poses.

Fan Dance conjures up the bright colors of the kimonos, make up of the geishas, artistic beauty of their calligraphy, and the soft petals of cherry blossoms. When Newbold was growing up, it was a family tradition to visit the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. every year. Newbold had many wonderful memories of these delicate flowers and their spectacular blooms. Newbold had also visited Japan and was fascinated by their rich culture and history. She had also found the tea ceremony particularly interesting and love how the Japanese keep old traditions alive in the midst of their highly technological society.